Monday, November 21, 2011

Wrexham (Wrecsam)

Wat's Dyke made its way through the ancient Lordship of Bromfield. The townships which formed this area are shown in the figure to the right, which was taken from the detailed work of Palmer and Owen. It shows the flow of Wat's Dyke in relationship to Offa's Dyke as they both pass through this area. Less than two miles apart, in the area of Bersham and Wrexham, they form a narrow space which must have been an exchange point between the Welsh, and those Anglo-Saxons, who built the dykes.

It was at this geographic point that the "commot of Wrexham" became the "Manor of Wrexham". Initially called the townships of "Wrexham Fawr" and "Wrexham Fechan", they were jointly called "Wrexham Regis". Early forms of the name were "Wristlesham" (1161 AD), "Wrettesham" or "Wrectesham" (1236 AD), "Wyrcesson (1291 AD), and "Wrightlesham" (1316-17 AD). These names were felt by Palmer and Owen to be errors made by clerks.

Acton (Acatone/une) [Church with Saxon stonework], Allington(Allentune), Broughton(Brochetone/tune), Eaton (Eton) [1000 salmon] {must of been a good place to fish!}, Eyton (Eitune) [fisheries], and Gresford (Gretford) were all recorded in "The Domesday Book", but no Wrexham. Apparently, its name first appears in English records 1161 AD as outlined above. [Taken from: The Domesday Book, Thomas Hinde, Editor.]

It was here that the eldest son of Jeuaf (Ieva) (JH-1), Iorweth Fychan (JI-1), was first identified as "of Llwyn Onn". [Jeauf (JH-1) was alive 3 March 1140 AD).] This Llwyn Onn, meaning "Ash Grove", was apparently the winter home (hendre). The land was roughly 1.5 miles to the east of Wrexham. The summer home (hafod) was near Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, which was also called Llwyn-ynn (Llwyn Onn). As you can see from the map above, this land was split by Wat's and Offa's Dyke. Just how did we, my Welsh ancestors, manage to keep active these two areas on different sides of the fence? That story is yet to come!

The family tree is given in detail at:

The most detailed reference is: A History of Ancient Tenures of Land in North Wales and The Marches, by Alfred Palmer and Edward Owen, printed 1910. The map above is enlarged from this text.

The Domesday references are taken from the most readable text: The Domesday Book, England's Heritage, Then and Now, Thomas Hinde, Editor, Hutchinson Publishing Group, London, 1985. pp. 52-55.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cadwallader Jones a New Blog

For those who have completed Genealogy 301, you might want to check out this new blog, using all the tools presented. If interested, the link is:

Saturday, August 6, 2011